Mongolian is a difficult language. There many unfamiliar consonants and vowel sounds and it sounds very harsh. I thought I would at least learn enough to have a simple conversation. It has been a humbling experience, but I'm getting pretty good at Charades. A few weeks ago I was trying to learn the Mongolian word for "drink." Evidently it sounds a lot like "die." I can't hear the difference in the vowel sounds. My roommate, Agi, tried to help me. In Mongolian, our conversation probably sounded something like this:
Me: Die.
Agi: Drink.
Me: Die?
Agi: No, DRINK.
Me: Diiiie?
Agi: DRIIIINK!
Me: Die! DIIIIIE!!!!
Forgive me if I do not offer you anything to drink.
At the beginning of April our team held a worship conference in Arkhungai, which is in the countryside. Everyone had their own assignments and I was told there would be no translation. That was fine with me. I have been blessed beyond my expectations by the people available to translate for me (usually Agi). I've also come to enjoy the thrill of getting into a van with a group of people and having no idea where we're going or what we're about to do. For the most part, that was my experience for four days. Occasionally I would receive brief, general translation, but for the most part I had no idea what was going on until someone debriefed me afterward.

My assignment for the conference was to pray and listen to the Holy Spirit. I didn't have any initial impressions except that I felt like I should take a notepad with me and write down anything I received. I prayed that God would give me understanding. As things began to unfold and I began writing what I felt God was putting on my heart, I discovered later that I had recorded fairly accurately the main events of the conference, usually before they happened! Many of the Mongolians who were also praying had similar experiences. None of the preaching had been planned, but as the conference progressed the two main themes were unity and idolatry. There was a need for the churches in Arkhungai to work together instead of against each other and also for people to give up shaman or Buddhist practices as well as any idols they still had in their homes. Revival came with repentance and reconciliation. People experienced the Holy Spirit and began to worship and dance spontaneously in the Mongolian style! Missionaries in Mongolia have been praying for that for a long time. Many of the songs we sing are translated from English. It is important for them to be able to worship Jesus as Mongolians.

 |
| Agi speaking. She's amazing. Probably an excellent Za-moment. |
By the end of the conference, I became more confident that God was giving me understanding. The preaching was very engaging and evidently I would occasionally respond to the message, quietly saying "Za" at appropriate times. "Za" means "yes" or "ok." I didn't realize I was doing this until someone mentioned it to me later. That was pretty amazing. Except evidently the way I was saying "Za" was in the attitude of "ok - fine, whatever!" rather than "yes, ok I agree." So imagine going to church and at the most inspiring parts of the message instead of saying "Amen!" or "Hallelujah!" someone is saying "Fine, whatever!" Yeah, I still haven't lived that one down.
 |
| Bringing the Word with Agi translating! |
On Sunday, I preached at a small church with an amazing story. The church had started with children who had found Jesus and brought their parents. Caetcili had a word of knowledge that a child had been to the hospital and needed healing. I felt like I was supposed to preach about idolatry, specifically about a healing I witnessed where a woman needed to renounce witchcraft. I felt incredibly under-qualified to speak on this subject. I grew up in Minnesota suburbia. We didn't have statues in our home and we didn't sacrifice food to idols or practice rituals to keep demons away. I was never concerned about what my dead relatives might do if I broke some tradition and no Buddhist priest ever told me when and how I was going to die. Psalm 139 talks about God's perfect knowledge of us and His great plans for our lives. It says He has written all of our days in a book. Practicing witchcraft or idolatry is like taking that book and asking the devil what his plans are for our lives. It gives him access and authority to work. That is why sometimes a Buddhist priest or a fortune teller will predict something and it comes to pass. The enemy of our souls has no power to act in our lives unless we give it to him. But Jesus took every curse with Him to the cross and has given us authority to bring freedom from those things.
Afterward we found the child who needed healing. He had a lung condition that would clear up when he went to the hospital but would return when he came home. His mother was a Christian but his father was not and there were idols in their home. Caecili felt like the idols and the illness might be connected. We prayed for healing and for God to move in the situation at home.
 |
| Hosoo sharing the Gospel |
Coming home, we stopped at a ger in the countryside. We were affectionately greeted by baby goats and invited inside for tea! I didn't understand much of the conversation, but we prayed for a small child who was having lung problems. His older brother saw what was happening and launched into a long narrative about how he hurt his knee. Of course we prayed for him and his knee felt better! Hoso shared with the brothers about Jesus. He told them they needed to be good - not lie or steal or curse. The older boy informed us "Daddy sometimes curses!" It was cute.

Unfortunately we couldn't stay long. But we were invited to come back in the summer to have a meal and share more about Jesus! Of course I won't be able to be there.
Love from Mongolia!
No comments:
Post a Comment