Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Getting Serious About Joy


I've been praying for some time about how to write about what I am about to share. Of the people who will read this, I do not know how they have experienced the Holy Spirit. As I've shared pieces of this story I'm finding that this may be outside of the box for many people. I invite you to have an open mind. It has been an amazing experience that has taught me so much about the character of God.

Thomas and the Swiss and German HELP missionaries.
Three weeks ago Thomas Erkens, the director of HELP international, visited our branch in Mongolia. Thomas is one of those people who never stops smiling. When you hear him talk about Jesus it isn't hard to see why. God used Thomas to unlock something in my heart. The first night he ministered, he and Chimka, our German-Mongolian translator, prophesied over me. The first thing he said was "you are going to laugh like a little girl..." At that moment I felt warmth and laughter rise up in me. I began to laugh as he continued to say a number of things that resonated with me very deeply.

It is common for people to experience joy or warmth when the Holy Spirit touches them. I've seen this before and I had experienced holy laughter a little bit in the past. Some people are blessed to experience uncontrollable, side-splitting laughter. When we encounter the Holy Spirit in new ways it can seem strange to us. If we want to experience the new things that God is doing, we must lay down our expectations and our concerns about what other people might think. We need to approach God with open hearts and allow Him to show us who He is.

Thomas taught at our missions school for two days. I was able to attend on the second day. He spoke about the Father's love, repentance, and the fire of God. Afterwards there was a time of prayer ministry. Chimka, being the translator, was one of the last people to receive prayer ministry. Very shortly she was on the floor laughing. It was like a ripple effect. Several other people began laughing. Soon most of the people in the room were on the floor!

Thomas teaching at the missions school.
Laughter is contagious. We've all been in those situations where someone starts laughing and it causes other people to start laughing. This was not one of those times.

An hour later we got up off the floor.

Thomas left two days later. In the days following I thought a lot about what had happened. So many times I've attended conferences where people come expecting something because a certain speaker or minister is there. It's not about a person - it's about Jesus! Thomas definitely released something to us and I wanted to see it continue.

Sovho spreading the joy
The following Friday was Men's Day. The men had a special event so only the women were at the evening prayer meeting. All we did was ask the Holy Spirit what He wanted to do. Evidently He wanted us laughing on the floor for two hours. That continues to amaze me. He is God. He could have done anything. Of all of the things on His vast, cosmic agenda, this was a high priority. The Holy Spirit chose to give us a corporate experience of joy and laughter.

At 11pm, the men came home. We were still laughing when Naraa called out "we need to pray for the children!" So we stumbled out of the meeting and ran to the HELP apartments connected to the children's home. No one was safe. Soon we had the men and the children laughing. I imagine it might have looked something like the book of Acts when the disciples came out of the upper room into the streets of Jerusalem.

The next day I left for the countryside with Michelle. Michelle had planned to do a dance worship workshop at the base in Henti and I came to support her. While we were there we received news that our people in Ulaanbaatar were still experiencing holy joy. Several of the men from the rehab gave their lives to Jesus! As Naraa was praying for of them, one of the men got filled with the Holy Spirit and didn't understand why he was laughing. He was saying "why do I feel drunk! I haven't had any alcohol!" During the Sunday service in Henti one of the pastors heard about what was happening with our team in Ulaanbaatar. He invited Michelle to share what with the congregation. Then he announced that we would be having a gathering that Monday evening at 6pm for Michelle and I to impart what we've been experiencing in Ulaanbaatar and to invite the Holy Spirit to send His Fire.

Well, that was unexpected!

We gathered that Monday evening. I shared from Luke 11:13 - that God is faithful to give us the Holy Spirit when we ask. We worshipped for some time. And then there was silence. Long silence. Some people left. I wondered what was going to happen. I desperately hoped that something would happen. Finally one young woman shared about the faithfulness of God. Shortly after she began worshipping and laughing. Joy came like a wave and soon many people were experiencing the Holy Spirit! I don't know how long it lasted.



I don't think this is over. God is serious about joy. It's part of who He is!

No comments:

Post a Comment