Four days ago I left everything comfortable and familiar and flew to Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia. I was not prepared for the range of emotions I would experience on this journey. I didn't realize how much leaving for three months would affect me. It's not forever, but it is a long time. At times it feels exhilarating and at times it feels very lonely. Many times I've asked myself: What am I doing? Why am I leaving everything I've known? Why am I leaving the people I love so much and the comfortable life I've made for myself? Honestly, it would save me quite a lot of heartache to stay home. I could spend Easter with my family. I could enjoy the company of my friends. I could keep my own schedule, eat the food I'm used to, and surround myself with people who know my culture and my language. I wouldn't have to risk cold, disease, and loneliness.
A few days ago I reached out to my friend Bethany who just landed in Poland. One-way ticket. No exit strategy. Just Bethany and Jesus. As we shared our experiences I began to feel much more normal. However I feel, I've been called here. God has given me certainty of that. My roommates wrote me letters before I left. Carolyn quoted Jim Elliot: "Wherever you are, be all there." I often need to remind myself of this.
I am so grateful for my team back home praying for me. I had not felt such a need for prayer cover as I have this past week. Godtown had a Nightwatch where they came to intercede through the night for Mongolia and The Philippines. It is so encouraging.
My first evening in Mongolia was the first time HELP held a worship service on a Saturday evening. There were about 120 Mongolians singing and praising Jesus! A number of Mongolians received the Holy Spirit and one man was healed of cancer!
The HELP base in Mongolia has two properties. The first has three sections. The first section has an open floor plan. The police will bring in the drunk and homeless and they will sleep on the floor. Just a few years ago it wasn't uncommon to have several people freeze to death on a nightly basis. HELP began looking for individuals at risk and bringing them inside. The second building is an alcohol treatment program and the last building is where the German missionaries live. I stayed at this base for two nights before I moved to the Children's Home. The Children's Home has an apartment building attached to a school. The school operates in the mornings and there is also a mission training school.
I am living with three Mongolian women. One of them has a one year old little girl. Two of them speak a little English. I will need to learn some Mongolian! Today I met with Shijree. She teaches English grammar, but she hasn't had much opportunity to use the language or speak with anyone who is fluent. She told me she had been praying for a friend she could speak with in English. She will be teaching me Mongolian. She is incredibly sweet and I already feel very connected to her. I think this could be an answered prayer for both of us.
I wish I had more pictures, but I am trying to be sensitive about that. I'm not sure what is culturally appropriate yet. There is so much to learn! I am increasingly aware of my shortcomings and how little I know about the world. My prayer has been that God would be bigger than those things. He must increase and I must decrease.
Please Pray for...
My roommate who had the measles.
That I will be able to learn Mongolian quickly
For the people of Mongolia
Location:B.Dorj Street,Ulan Bator,Mongolia
You are always where you are supposed to be, and we are all there with you.......as you are the culmination of all of your experiences and relationships. Love, Mom
ReplyDelete